Friday, February 18, 2011

Valentine's Day - Homemade Style

I had all my plans laid out to make our first valentine’s day unforgettable: watch “Tangled”, then dinner at a Serendra Resto famous for their steak, Mamou’s.

I have never been in that resto but the place came highly recommended (My boss and a friend who works there)... I heard the steak there is so tender that you can actually cut the meat using your spoon. It came highly priced as well as the cheapest steak dinner (main course) is worth 1500.00/plate.

We always talked about having a dinner where we can dress nice, sit down and eat a good three course meal. I thought, our first day of hearts could have been the best occasion to do this. I never thought that this plan not pushing through was a blessing in disguise.

It all started Saturday night when I picked Mavie up after work. He met me with a shivering body and unusually tired eyes. I knew there's something wrong.

When I held Mavie’s cheek in both my hands and felt his unusual temperature seep through my palms, I knew our dream dinner date is not going to happen. I spent the night at his place more worried for Mavie than the cancelled dinner. The whole night, I can feel his slight twitching of coldness even under the warm sheet. I hugged him tight all night barely sleeping.

The morning after promised a new day and a better, sick-free Mavie. I woke up with the sweet smell and sizzling sound of cooking bacon. I opened my eyes and watched him cook for a while discreetly admiring his culinary skills as porkstrips gets crisper by the second. After a while, I stood up, slowly approached him and from the back, gave him a peck in the neck and hugged him. Thank God his fever is gone.

After the hearty breakfast, we spent the day watching movie and had an afternoon stroll to Sta Ana church. At the church, we lighted 2 pink candles (pink candles were supposedly for wishes of love and good health) with a prayer of thanks and wishes for a more love-filled future.

The day was nothing flamboyant than I had planned but it was special. We have each other the whole day.

We could have gone out that night and pushed through with our dinner but I don’t wanna risk him being sick again. I unwillingly went home that night with warm nostalgia of the whole day.

I went back the next day carrying my stuff for my Monday shift (11:00 PM – 8:30 AM) and a triple chocolate cake to celebrate for first Valentine’s Day.

We cooked pasta together, ordered pizza and watched some more DVD’s. Yes! We had our three course dinner meal after all. He even packed some pasta, pizza and cakes for me to take to work. It’s no Mamou’s alright but the fun and joy of making Valentine’s Day our own is priceless.

We were together the whole V-day weekend and thats what matters most.

And when his dad asked me earlier that day, “Valentine’s na. Saan kayo magde-date?”, that’s all I needed to make this year’s Valentine’s Day unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment