Saturday, July 20, 2013

The French-Canadian


It's been eons since I humbly took my first step up the corporate ladder and I have to admit that I miss the days when my white collar job revolved around taking nasty phone calls from irate customers and converting it to a happy and satisfied cardmembers.

Yes! Life was so simple back then. But then again, so was the paycheck.

Still, I miss those days so much that I sometimes volunteer to take escalated calls when my longing to get degraded and devalued by pompous pricks that can barely do basic mathematics hits me.

These days, I rarely get surprised on escalated phone calls so you can't imagine my shock (and my grin) when I offered to take a double escalation. This was definitely a first.

Just before I ended the call, the irate turned satisfied cardmember asked me a personal question. I'm not sure if I would take it as an insult or a compliment.

CLIENT: Excuse me Sir, Can I ask you a personal question?

ME: Absolutely Mr Cardmember. What is it?

CLIENT: Are you French-Canadian from Quebec?

ME: No sir. Why?

CLIENT: You sound like my partner who grew up in Quebec and he's French-Canadian.

ME: No sir. I'm a Pacific Islander from Southeast Asia.

CLIENT: I see... you don't sound like one.




4 comments:

  1. When I was in APS almost all of my customers would say I sounded like someone from London. Syempre naman I took it as a compliment tapos pinagkakalat ko pa. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ako talaga walang accent LOL

    ReplyDelete