Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Legend of the Blue Leash, Part 3



Ash woke up with a painful jaw and a throbbing head. It’s obvious that he’s no longer on the beach. He quickly sat up and inspected the surrounding. It was clearly not his hotel room and he was clearly not on his hotel bed.

He was clearly not wearing anything. 

He looked at the side table and saw 2 ice-cold can of coke sweating from the heat. The digital alarm clock behind it says 3:46 PM. He is starting to panic when the door suddenly opened revealing a hot guy in his underwear towelling his hair dry.  

It was Miguel.

Ash defensively stands up quickly wrapping the sheets around his waist. 

“Oh good! You’re awake! Listen...”

“Where am I? Why am I naked?” Ash interrupted as he moves back away from the almost naked Miguel slowly walking towards him. 

Miguel stopped and raised his hands. He can sense Ash’s fear, confusion and panic. “Chill dude! You are in my room and I had your clothes hanged outside to dry.”

Ash sat on the side of the bed while Miguel took a can of coke, opened it and gave it to him.

“Don’t worry. I have seen the merchandise. You have nothing to be ashamed of.” Miguel continued as he sat beside him downing the contents of the other can.

Ash blushed.

“Relax Ash! I’m teasing! I don’t want you to sleep out that asshole’s punch on your wetsuit.” 

He can feel Miguel’s sincerity but he can’t understand why he is concerned. Either way, his apparent care for his well being chipped some of his anxiety a bit that he was able to manage a smile.

“Yeah! He is an asshole!” Ash cheered as he places the cold can on his sore jaw. 

“Hey!” Miguel protested.

“Well, you said it first!” 

“Only I can call him asshole!”

“Suit yourself”

“But seriously Ash, What the hell are you doing in Cemento Reef? You’re a virgin for crying out loud!”

“I’m not a virgin!” It was Ash’s time to protest.

“I meant surfing virgin.”

Ash took another sip.  He felt stupid and embarrassed but Miguel earned the right to know.

“I thought I could handle bigger waves already. I mean, I practice so hard and I was getting better every day in Sabang.”

“I know how hard you practice and I can tell you are a natural but learning from those money mongers who wants your cash more than teach you is not enough to take the swells in Cemento.” Miguel’s eyes are full of concern. It’s as if he will be devastated if something happen to him. It made Ash feel more confused.

“You could have died there you know.”

“Wait... how did you know I’m a natural? I got wiped out in Cemento.” Ash wondered looking at Miguel demanding some answers.

Miguel took a deep breath and answered. “I watch you practice every day.”

(to be continued...)


2 comments: