Saturday, June 21, 2014

The Legend of the Blue Leash, Part 4


Ash was speechless. For some time, there was an awkward silence in Miguel’s room. He only had assumptions on Miguel’s sexuality until now and it doesn’t bother him at all. 

What bothers him is that for someone who likes women and never been in bed with men, he can’t stop thinking about a guy. He dreams of him every night and it scares him that he might actually enjoy the real thing.

“Uhmmm... Miguel, who is that guy that almost broke my face?” Ash asked carefully.
It took a while before Miguel answered back. “He’s my ex-boyfriend.” He said. “We broke up two years ago.”

“Since then, he was very protective of me.”

"I understand." 

“Sorry about your face.” He apologized sneaking a soft touch on Ash’s bruised jaw.

Ash nodded gloomily.

“Tell you what.” Miguel said on a cheery note. “Let me make it up to you. Let me show you how to ride crazy swells and if we are lucky, I might show you how to go inside a barrel.”

Hearing Miguel’s proposition indeed cheered Ash up. That’s exactly the reason why he went to Baler.

“That would be great!” Ash exclaimed. He felt like Christmas came early this year. 

“When?”

Miguel look out of the window and watched the sky. “Well, the sun will be setting in a few hours. That’s the golden time to catch crazy waves. How about now?”

Ash hopped on the back of Miguel’s scooter and they ride away from the city for an hour.  From the back, he can smell Miguel’s sweet scent of soap and sea salt. He can feel his lean obliques as he holds on to his side the whole road trip.

They stop at a secluded area along the highway and hid the scooter away from view. They walk for a while, climb up a hill into a heavily fenced beach front with a sign: “PRIVATE PROPERTY. KEEP OUT”



“This is my private turf. I alone know about this place.” Miguel claimed. “Except from the owner of the property of course.” He added as he jumped over the fence urging Ash to do the same.

Ash looked out to the sea and realized why they were there. The swells the ocean produced were the biggest he has personally seen. The waves at this side of Baler (He’s not even sure if he is still in Baler) both excited him and scared him at the same time.

They strip into their wet suit and raced into the ocean. They took turns in riding the waves. Or at least Miguel did. He rode the waves like he owned the beach.  Ash did nothing but paddle, popup and gets a wipe out. By the time the sun sets, they were already exhausted.

They sat in the sand their bodies tired and aching from surfing. They watch as the sun slowly sinks into the horizon.

“I watch you very carefully.” Miguel said breaking the silence. “Your problem is you are overly anxious to ride the swell.”

Ash listened intently on every word he said. Miguel can tell from his eyes how eager Ash is to learn. 

“Before you pull the tail, you gotta stand up so you can feel the wave. Your popup need some work too.”

“I see. Thanks Miguel!” He said taking the bottle of water Miguel is sharing.

“Please, call me Migs.”

“Alright Migs, thanks for the tip!”

The sun vanished into the horizon and the cold breeze has claimed the beach when they decide to call it a day. They were walking back up the hill to where they hid the scooter when Ash opened up.

“I was watching you too you know.” He said. Migs stopped for a moment at the comment. Even with the low, dusk light, Ash was sure Migs mouth twitched into a smile. “You were amazing Migs. You are just flying out there.”

“Well, I did not win the local surfing competition 3 years in a row for nothing.” Miguel exclaimed with pride.

They continued they trek while discussing everything that happened at the beach. Ash was asking most of the question which Miguel happily answered. Ash never ran out of questions. 

They speed through the dark road. The cold bite of the night wind became even chillier. Without realizing it, he had wrapped his arm around Miguel’s waist. He won’t admit it but the warmth of Miguel’s back felt nice. Miguel felt good being held by Ash too. He wanted the feeling to last forever, but soon they were in Sabang in front of Ash’s hotel.

“Thanks Migs. I had fun and learned a lot at the same time.” Ash said as he hopped off the scooter. “I really want to be as good as you. Would you teach me?”

 “You don’t care that i’m gay?”

“Should I?”

“We can’t do it here though.” He said. “You’re already too good for the waves here.”

Ash appreciated Miguel’s confidence in him. It made him proud of the things he accomplished in such a short time.

“Can you train me again there at your secret turf?” Ash suggested. “I don’t want to go back to Cemento Reef yet.”

“I mean they already think of me as a stupid poser there.” He continued.

“I understand. Meet me at my place every 5am.” Miguel instructed. “We’ll go to my sanctuary together. We’ll start tomorrow”

Ash agreed.

“And from now on, you call me coach.” Miguel grinned as he dropped his helmet visor and drove away.

Ash slept early that night. Since he and Miguel left Miguel’s secret beach, Ash realized one thing. Gay or not, Miguel is awesome and when he is with him, he is happy. That night he dreamt of Miguel again. Only this time it did not end with them kissing on the beach.

photo here
photo here

No comments:

Post a Comment