Tuesday, July 8, 2014

United in White


After a scrumptious dinner and a heavy downing of Merlot’s and Sangria’s, me and my gang had an unexpected detour at Greenfield last Saturday night.

I was aware of the event but I had no plans of going. But destiny paved the way, peer pressure prevailed and I found myself braving the evening downpour to attend the biggest LGBT party of 2014.

Dubbed “Unite in White Manila”, the event was spearheaded by Mentorque Productions and Bed Manila together with the German alcohol giant, Jägermeister in cooperation with various sponsors. Normally, gay pride is observed in June and this event went a little late. Nonetheless, diversity was celebrated at the Portal in Greenfield, Ortigas City.  

Hot representatives of Jagermeister offering free booze. I just wish they were topless.   
Hot hunks giving away free protection (and lubrication) just in case things get steamy.

Music was served hot and fab by DJ’s Ace Ramos, Marc Marasigan, Toy Armada, Jay Santos, Brian Cua, Cal Soesanto, Josh Tiu and Boys Can Trance with stunning performances powerhoused by the Voice Philippines’ Morisette Amon and Radha Cuadrado.

Morisette Amon with the organizers.

We arrived very late (a little past 1 am) but fashionable (as always) as the event was never part of our day’s itinerary. We meet up with some friends and went inside Greenfield’s the Portal.

Thank God I was not a vegetarian for all I see the moment we stepped in was meat, meat and more meat!!! There were also celebrities that united with us in a night of diverse revelry.

Boys always look better with their top off.
and even hotter in trunks.
LGBT champion, John “Sweet” Lapus opened the party with his wacky antics and comedic punchlines.

Sweet opening the party.
Actress Marian Rivera as well as Eugene Domingo received awards and recognitions for their support to the LGBT community. Of course we never saw this part and were only shared to us by some of our party friends who were there to experience it.

Marian Rivera and Eugene Domingo accepting their award for their support to the LGBT community.
The music was fairly good and the booming thumpa thumpa can be heard (and felt) from the back.

My main issue was the air conditioning system. It was awfully warm and I started sweating the moment we stepped in.

We immediately searched for the nearest air conditioner and stayed there for the next 2 and a half hour.

It could have been better too if not for the “high school fair-esque” feel brought by various food stalls who sold their perishable goods inside the event.

I mean, stalls for boozes and contraceptives was very understandable. In fact, it is a requirement. But food stands? People came there to dance and party the night away and not fill their tummy which they will puke anyway by the end of the day.

It made the event look cheap.

The event was better off without it.  


The music could have made me stay longer and brought me to outer space if not for the warm climate that made me sweating like a pig and kept my feet planted firmly to the ground. In the end, we spend partying instead at Bed where the climate was to our liking before calling it a night.

It was pretty ok for a 50.00 Php event. It was a party for the mass and I made my corporate social responsibility. I just hoped next year will be different.  

photos courtesy of BED Manila

2 comments:

  1. I've outgrown the White Party. I hope the spirit of the celebration remains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When me and my friends started to go for dinner and wine more than bars and raves, I knew I would outgrew it eventually too.

      Delete